25 YEARS OF SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER
What We Do?
Services we provide:
- Psycho-legal counseling
- Helpline to victims of violence, injustice and those in distress
- Scrutiny of documents and legal advice
- Assisted negotiation and mediation for amicable settlement of disputes
- Sensitization seminars and workshops on gender, and child rights
- Public meetings/debates on contemporary concerns
- Training of para-legal volunteers, service providers etc…
- Consultancy services
Projects we completed:
- Disaster management and relief works in Latur in Maharashtra following the devastating earth quake in 1993.
- Services for legal reparation and legal aid in Tsunami-hit areas in Kollam and Alappuzha districts in the year 2004
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2002 on toxicity of ground water and pollution at Plachimada due to illegal and unscientific operations of Coco Cola company.
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2003 on ecological and environmental damages in Vagamon owing to illegal human encroachments.
- Investigative Survey and Study Report in 2003 on the Prevalence of Dowry System in Kerala and its impact on different sections of Society.
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2010 on air, soil and water pollutions at Kathikkoodam by Nitta Gelatin India Limited.
- 3-year study and reports on the perils of Unethical Clinical Drug Trials in Kerala and to make drug trials clinically safe and ethically sound, conducted during 2009-12 period.
- Pollution of Chaliyar River by Mavoor Rayons
- Politically /communally motivated killings at Kannur and Marad
- Brutal attack on Adivasis by armed forces at Muthanga in 2002
- Agitation by landless Dalits in Chengara
- PIL in the matter of custodial torture and death of Gopi s/o Thankappan, Cherthalai, Alleppy. Final order given in favour of Jananeethi by Kerala High Court in 1998.
- PIL in the matter of trafficking of 75000 young women from Kerala and North East States to Thailand for sex trade by Shillong based H & Z International. Interim stay was given by Kerala High Court in 1995 and was made final in 2008.
- PIL filed by Jananeethi in the Supreme Court against the confirmation of capital punishment awarded to Mr. T.A. Joseph by the Division bench of Kerala High court in a communally sensitized issue of land dispute that caused death of three people. The appeal resulted in reducing the death penalty to life imprisonment.
- Jananeethi filed several PILs in matters of waste dumping stations at Calicut and Thodupuzha and the respective courts decreed in favour of Jananeethi.
||Jananeethi office inaugurated
|1992 - May 13
||Registration of Jananeethi Society
Initial services included – public adalats (neethimela), free legal aid, legal literacy, mediation & reconciliation and public interest litigation. Started campaign against torture, death penalty, dowry, child labour and trafficking.
||Launch of Jananeethi Publication
||Environmental Advocacy launched
||Helpline for women, children and elderly in distress started
||Declaration of first litigation-free village in Thichoor in Varavoor Panchayat