25 YEARS OF SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER
Who We Are?
A secular collective of human rights defenders, eminent jurists, retired judges, lawyers, academics, writers, thinkers, artists, social workers, and activists representing humanism, culture, creativity, and knowledge.
What we stand for
We strive to defend life, dignity, liberty and other fundamental rights of all using law and legal systems as therapeutic agents. We adopt a rights-based, victim-centered approach for total healing through legal, social, psychological and emotional reparation.
Our Organizational Mandate
- Providing a Helpline for victims of violence, abuse and prejudices.
- Enabling the poor to access justice.
- Building social capital for promoting peace.
- Promoting justice education and therapeutic jurisprudence.
- Combating torture, corruption and human trafficking.
- Advocating for sustainable development and safe environment.
- Legal aid and assistance
- Conflict management & Dispute Resolution
- Pedagogies for legal literacy
- Facts finding surveys and alternate reports
- Campaigns on rights based issues
- Public interest litigations
- Constructive Engagements & Coalition Building
- Research, Documentation & Dissemination
Projects we completed:
- Disaster management and relief works in Latur in Maharashtra following the devastating earth quake in 1993.
- Services for legal reparation and legal aid in Tsunami-hit areas in Kollam and Alappuzha districts in the year 2004
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2002 on toxicity of ground water and pollution at Plachimada due to illegal and unscientific operations of Coco Cola company.
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2003 on ecological and environmental damages in Vagamon owing to illegal human encroachments.
- Investigative Survey and Study Report in 2003 on the Prevalence of Dowry System in Kerala and its impact on different sections of Society.
- Investigative Research Study Report in 2010 on air, soil and water pollutions at Kathikkoodam by Nitta Gelatin India Limited.
- 3-year study and reports on the perils of Unethical Clinical Drug Trials in Kerala and to make drug trials clinically safe and ethically sound, conducted during 2009-12 period.
- Pollution of Chaliyar River by Mavoor Rayons
- Politically /communally motivated killings at Kannur and Marad
- Brutal attack on Adivasis by armed forces at Muthanga in 2002
- Agitation by landless Dalits in Chengara
- PIL in the matter of custodial torture and death of Gopi s/o Thankappan, Cherthalai, Alleppy. Final order given in favour of Jananeethi by Kerala High Court in 1998.
- PIL in the matter of trafficking of 75000 young women from Kerala and North East States to Thailand for sex trade by Shillong based H & Z International. Interim stay was given by Kerala High Court in 1995 and was made final in 2008.
- PIL filed by Jananeethi in the Supreme Court against the confirmation of capital punishment awarded to Mr. T.A. Joseph by the Division bench of Kerala High court in a communally sensitized issue of land dispute that caused death of three people. The appeal resulted in reducing the death penalty to life imprisonment.
- Jananeethi filed several PILs in matters of waste dumping stations at Calicut and Thodupuzha and the respective courts decreed in favour of Jananeethi.
||Jananeethi office inaugurated
|1992 - May 13
||Registration of Jananeethi Society
Initial services included – public adalats (neethimela), free legal aid, legal literacy, mediation & reconciliation and public interest litigation. Started campaign against torture, death penalty, dowry, child labour and trafficking.
||Launch of Jananeethi Publication
||Environmental Advocacy launched
||Helpline for women, children and elderly in distress started
||Declaration of first litigation-free village in Thichoor in Varavoor Panchayat